Nuffnang Ads

Friday, December 24, 2010

How To Feel Richer - Take Time To Be Grateful For What We Have

"Christmas sale!"
"50% discount on selected items"
"What's on sale?" 
"How I wish that was on sale."
"Is it on sale?"
"Why can't it be on sale?"
"When is it ever going to be on sale?"
"OH LOOK! It's on SALE!"

What seems to be the festive greeting these days reminds me of a short story I wrote a long while back one day when I was bored on how consumerism has engulfed Christmas and transformed its intent.

Today however, while browsing through my email, I came across one with a deeper message on being grateful for what we have and to stop counting what we don't - a thought that left me pondering which reminded me of that story I wrote which then led to this post. Talk about being tangentially linked.

Taking time to be grateful for what we have. How many of us actually spend time doing that? It seems that we're too busy chasing after things that we want, only to enjoy it for a short while when we acquire the aim before chasing after the next. To achieve happiness we say. I get caught in the same trap too. But perhaps it would be easier to achieve happiness if we look back and see how far we've come, what we have and what we've achieved, what we've been blessed with - our state of being, our health, our family, friends etc. - and to take time to congratulate ourselves and enjoy their merits. It's a quick way to feel rich internally I feel, which is more important than simply concentrating on our exterior.

So I'm thankful for that email. A Christmas reminder that there's more to life than material pleasures. 

I feel like a millionaire already. Now let me check my wallet...

When's that sale again?

~K

P.S. Merry Christmas eve everyone. =)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kay,

    Haha, yes, be grateful for the things you had and not the things you do not have. Isn't it true that if you cannot have the things you love, you should love the things that you had?

    When I'm feeling down, I like to make a mental list of 10 things that I'm grateful about. Always, before I can think of point no. 10, I'll already feel much better :)

    Here's my post on it:

    http://bullythebear.blogspot.com/2010/04/im-grateful-for.html

    Have a happy xmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey LP,
    Great idea. And good post too. Yeah I'll do that.

    I'll posts my things that I'm grateful soon too.

    Enjoy the festive season LP!

    Cheers,
    ~K

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Please Visit My Sponsors

Best Deals From Amazon